Is your child clear about his/her interests, abilities and passion? Is he/she about to make an important decision regarding his/her education and career pathways?
At the Budget Debate 2016, MOE highlighted the importance of education and career guidance (ECG) and that greater support would be given to help our children make better informed education and career choices through the provision of ECG counsellors and increased opportunities to raise our children’s awareness of specific industries. We recognise that for our children to thrive in a globalised economy and navigate meaningfully through life, they would benefit from having sound values and learning to seize every opportunity to develop transferable soft skills such as cross-cultural communication skills, problem-solving skills, and team work; and continually developing workplace readiness skills such as literacy, numeracy, and technical skills throughout life.
How parents can help
You can help guide your child to make informed education and career choices that will impact his or her future.
- Show support for your child, by having conversations and being open-minded.
- Observe your child’s strengths and interests.
- Listen to your child and find out which courses or occupations interest him or her.
- Encourage your child to participate in the college’s ECG activities to learn more about a variety of occupations.
- Support your child’s aspirations.
Your child can also have further conversations with his or her civics tutor. Alternatively, your child can make an appointment with the school ECG Counsellor here.
What is Education and Career Guidance (ECG)?
Education and Career Guidance (ECG) is about equipping students with the necessary knowledge, skills and values to make informed decisions at each key education stage for successful transition from school to further education or work, and hence to manage their career pathways and lifelong learning throughout their lives.
The ECG curriculum aims to:
- Nurture students’ self-awareness and self-directedness and lifelong learning;
- Enable students to explore education and career options, by equipping them with accurate and comprehensive information;
- Help students develop a growth mindset and a resilient attitude to embrace future opportunities, and appreciate all occupations across society; and
- Create opportunities for students to build positive connections with the community, to develop an appreciation for different career pathways.
To find out more and to learn about the ECG curriculum, click here.
Want to find out more about Education and Career Guidance (ECG)? Watch this quick video on what ECG is about!
Education and Career Guidance For Your Child
A suggested education and career plan for your child can take the form provided in the flow chart found here.
The Next Step Forward. Navigating the Education and Career Pathways.
Browse through this e-book which features portraits of youths who have gone through diverse education and career pathways. Our education system offers many options that cater to your child’s interests and needs, and can help them succeed in their selected path.
Using these stories as springboards, you can discuss with your child his/her education and career options. Take your child’s interests, abilities and passion into consideration during the discussion!